Edit 3/29/2009 7:23 PM:

It appears that Delimitdesign has finally caught wind of this thread and has altered their post to look less like a blatant rip off of mine.  They also modified the post date from 3/28/2009 to 5/28/2008.  Right.  Too bad Google cache clearly shows their original post in its full copy & paste glory with the actual date they had posted it on:

You can view the full screenshot here.  I took it just in case the Google cache page updated.

Original post:

I’ve grown somewhat accustomed to seeing my articles regurgitated on some random blogger’s site and passed off as their own.  Usually I just send the content-stealing jerk (CSJ for future reference) an e-mail asking that they provide some sort of link back to my original article and leave it at that.  Sometimes they comply, oftentimes they don’t.  In the end, life goes on.  After all, it’s not like I’m going to press charges over it.

It’s a problem that’s existed ever since the advent of blogging.  In general, I think bloggers have pretty much become desensitized to it.  Every few months you’ll hear someone cry foul, but that’s about all we can do.  Personally, I’m not a big fan of smear campaigns, especially since they tend to give the CSJs more traffic than they would have gotten otherwise.  However, it seems that the CSJs are finally evolving from no-name bloggers with 5 readers to large, professional-looking CMS-type deals.

Thanks to some heads-up readers e-mails today, I found out that a site called Delimitdesign was featuring an article on their home page that was copied word-for-word from my blog.

My post Delimitdesign’s carbon copy

I promptly sent them an e-mail which thus far has gone unanswered.  I also left a couple replies to the post which were not approved (surprise, surprise).  I even @replied to them on Twitter without any luck.  What’s worse, it appears that I’m not the only one they’ve ripped off.  Out of curiosity, I took a look at another one of their articles featured on their home page:

A quick Google search revealed that it was a carbon copy of an article written by someone else:

After some more digging around, it became quite clear that several of their posts were turning up a separate, but identical, blog post written by someone else.  In other words, the site appears to be digging up old, popular posts and regurgitating them as their own.

This is nothing new of course.  I think most bloggers have put up with it so long simply because thus far the CSJs have been relatively harmless.  But what do we do when the CSJs become more established?

Honestly, I’m not entirely sure how to react.  My only recourses, thus far, have been to politely ask them to stop and to notify the public of their behavior.

It’s not just the blogging CSJs we have to worry about either.  As Jeff Atwood noticed today, someone seems to have ripped off the entire StackOverflow site:

StackOverflow CNProg’s carbon copy

What do we do in this case?  It’s not like Jeff has a copyright on his CSS, javascript, or design (edit: as pointed out by several commenters both here and on Reddit, he very well may, but whether or not he can enforce it is still questionable and dependent on where the infringers live and possibly how much is copied).  It seems his only retort — as well as mine — is to cry foul and throw a little mud (exactly what I’m doing here).  I think Jeff, and anyone else who has had their content ripped off, would agree that mud slinging isn’t all that satisfying.

The only solution that I have devised to curtail this is to take away the CSJs incentive for ripping off other people’s content (e.g. their visitors and thus, their advertising revenue).  I propose a new site: ContentStealingJerks.com, which would let people flag articles they recognize as blatant ripoffs of someone else’s original content.  It could come with a firefox plugin that would redirect users to the original article when they visit a flagged page.  What do you think?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Or already implemented and I just haven’t realized it?

Edit 3/29/2009 3:58 AM:

Thanks to the comments readers have left here and on Reddit and Hacker News, I’ve learned that there are indeed things I can do.  I have now reported Delimitdesign through Google Adsense’s complaint feature (which should eliminate any monetary gains they’ve gained from their content ripping) as well as through Google Webmaster Tools (which should remove them from Google’s search index).  Tomorrow, I plan on filing a DMCA complaint as well.

I also discovered that Delimitdesign didn’t bother to swap out the images when they copy/pasted my article, meaning their article is using images hosted on my server.  So I took the liberty of swapping them out.  Here’s the final result:

Yes, I know.  I missed a golden opportunity to use goatse or tubgirl or something along those lines.  Don’t think I wasn’t tempted.  In the end though, I’d rather just get the message out rather than gross out their (presumably) innocent visitors.

92 responses to Content-Stealing Jerks

1. imonsei said:

that’s a tricky one.
    what’s to stop CSJs from entering the site and flag real content providers as CSJs?
    and also you would have to get people to install the browser plugin in the first place.

2. Amgad said:

This makes me angry too. This didnt happen to me (yet) because I just started my blog in December. I think the site idea is excellent, but it will only work with tech savvy users, there are bloggers out there that dont know what a Firefox plugin is. If you decided to start developing the site please let me know, I’m will to help out in testing.

3. Match said:

Hey, I think this is a good idea.

But like imonsei, I think there should be a way to prevent the original content from being flagged as stolen content.

4. Kevin Pang said:

@imonsei

Very good points. I think you could prevent gaming the system with a combination of voting and moderation (e.g. X votes before a site is automatically redirected, with users being able to report anyone who is obviously abusing the site).

Unfortunately, I’m not sure about how to get around the fact that most people won’t bother to install the plugin.

5. eric said:

You could just find out their hosting provider and file a simple DMCA complaint with them. That’s usually my first step and 90% of the time, that’s enough to get the content taken down.

6. paul said:

The point isnt that only tech saavy users know ( or will ) install a ff extension but rather that it illustrates a step in the path of pushing this solution through the various phases of the web architecture stack, an extension first, a standard proposed by a fringe group of progressive developers with an itch to scratch, a standard with a rough draft implementation of the standard, and before you know it Microgooglehoo has decided they will adopt it and our steering the standards bodies to write it in RFC stone.

If its a good idea it will percolate to the foundations.

7. Dan said:

Unfortunately there isn’t a lot you can do. A lot of these people are in other countries which do not honor (or enforce) copyrights. One example would be India, where there is a horde of people trying to make money off the web by scrapping content wherever they can and adding Ads.

The only thing I image you could do is to contact their host. That might not be effective depending where it is hosted.

8. On said:

I’m not sure what country you’re in, or what country the servers of this site are in, but you should read up on the DMCA. If the site’s host won’t respond to DMCA takedown requests, then at the very least you can file a DMCA notice with Google (http://www.google.com/dmca.html). That will (eventually) lead to the site be taken out of their index, and since they seem to be using Adsense, they will likely be banned from that as well.

Yahoo and MSN have instructions on how to file a notice with them as well –

9. friism said:

This happens for liberally licensed open source projects too. Take this project as an example (I happen to be the maintainer), original Codeplex site:
    Copycat site by some Rumanians called "Softpedia":

While they are probably within their rights to do this (at least as far as the source code goes), they are still jerks.

10. zorg said:

This has existed for years : http://www.pirated-sites.com/ list sites that have ripped off designs off other websites

11. Ash said:

I originally read this article on some CSJ’s website which is lucky as I wouldn’t have found it otherwise. You should subscribe to the CSJ feed on feedburner, lots of good stuff there.

Haha, kidding, but it could happen once they work the kinks out of their ‘ automatic content aquisition’ scripts. :)

12. Kevin Pang said:

@On, @Manu

Thanks! I’ll do just that. :-)

13. syboor said:

Click on the "Ads by Google" image. Click "Send Google your thoughts on the site or the ads you just saw" at the bottom of the page.
    Click on "Also report a violation", check "the website", check "The site is hosting/distributing my copyrighted content". Done.

14. Kevin Pang said:

@syboor

Thanks for the tip! I did just that (and a few other things). I’ve edited the post to include the steps I’ve taken to hopefully curtail the sites’ behavior.

15. HM2K said:

Have you tried using copyscape.com?

16. Rick said:

Wow, content and identity theft seems to be all the rage this weekend. See:

17. Mark said:

Pinging that domain gets 66.7.193.179
    Whois that IP gets dimenoc.com
    OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@dimenoc.com
    http://www.dimenoc.com/clean/ – last couple of lines.
    Send them the DMCA. They are obliged to act.

And if they make it difficult I’d call them out as abetting theft.

18. Julian said:

@friism – I always thought softpedia were a software directory, just like nonags, tucows, snapfiles, etc.

Wouldn’t it be in your best interests for your project to be listed by them? After all, they might send potential users your way that have never heard about your project before…

19. I don’t think Jeff Atwood has a lot to worry about yet with CNProg.com. They currently have around 65 registered users compared to Stack Overflow’s > 50,000. The content of SO is user-generated, and one thing CNProg will have a hard time ripping off is the great community at Stack Overflow.

You showed remarkable restraint in not tub-girling delimiteddesign. I’m not sure I could have controlled myself, but I do like your idea of drawing attention to their theft [i]to their own visitors[/i], while at the same time promoting your own original content. Kudos.

20. Max said:

Creating a new site to showcase content-stealing jerks will only provide more exposure for them. They’re doing it for the sake or promoting spam for money, and many of them come from countries where a small amount of money can be enough of a financial incentive to go through all the work involved. In general, any measure you can take with them has a counter-measure to escalate the problem. The best thing you can do is keep writing high-quality articles and rest assured in the fact that as long as you’re doing that most people will come to your site for its implicit value and recognize the content-stealing jerks for what they are.

(Also, adding a link back to the original article in each post wouldn’t hurt.)

Best of luck!

21. Holly said:

Delimitdesign.com’s DNS record looks bogus, but they do have to use a working email address. Tracing that hotmail account reveals that this guy, like most CSJs, is a marketer — the new version of the Nigerian spammer. He’s advertising for blog commenters for his clients here:

Several instances of his email icotico@hotmail.com can be found with similar posts…

22. Mark said:

I would change the image text to use active, instead of passive, voice.

Readers are already unlikely to read the text on a wordy image. By using passive voice, you make it even more unlikely. They’ll stop after the first three words, because the text doesn’t seem to promise anything interesting to come.

23. Jack said:

While we’re on the topic of using other people’s content without permission, you might want to scrub the blue Twitterific bird from your site:

24. Me2everyone said:

There has to be some way to prevent the original content from being flagged though in my opinion.

25. IF Webmaster said:

Although we can sympathize with the nature of your post (people take & use our icons all the time without permission), you yourself have used our own Twitterrific icon in your blog’s header. We’d respectfully ask that you remove it at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks for your help and understanding.

Gedeon

26. Paul said:

I think you could use the web archive to prove your content is the original.

BTW, copyscape is pretty good for findind the CSJs

27. I use noarchive meta tag in my sites to protect my content.

28. Me said:

Another possibility is to name the lowlife, and hopefully, shame them on the indelible internet archives.

Perpetrator in this case seems to be one "Jest Staffel": http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/88bkk/content_stealing_jerks/c08j9vi

29. Pevin Kang said:

I’ve grown somewhat accustomed to seeing my articles regurgitated on some random blogger’s site and passed off as their own. Usually I just send the content stealing jerk (CSJ for future reference) an e-mail asking that they provide some sort of link back to my original article and leave it at that. Sometimes they comply, oftentimes they don’t. In the end, life goes on. After all, it’s not like I’m going to press charges over it.

It’s a problem that’s existed ever since the advent of blogging. In general, I think bloggers have pretty much become desensitized to it. Every few months you’ll hear someone cry foul, but that’s about all we can do. Personally, I’m not a big fan of smear campaigns, especially since they tend to give the CSJs more traffic than they would have gotten otherwise. However, it seems that the CSJs are finally evolving from no-name bloggers with 5 readers to large, professional-looking CMS-type deals.

30. Dave Ward said:

I wouldn’t waste much time or effort worrying about this.

As long as your SEO is solid, Google does a great job of detecting and penalizing duplicate content. People running these ripped blogs aren’t getting much traffic, if any.

31. Kevin Pang said:

@Dave Ward

I assumed so as well, but a quick look at their Twitter profile shows they have over 3,000 followers. There’s also a decent number of comments on each of their articles, so I’m guessing they’re getting at least *some* traffic.

@Jack, @IF Webmaster

I had no idea. I’ll swap it out ASAP. Thanks for letting me know.

32. Thomas said:

If you encounter this kind of rip-off, consider [b]not[/b] linking to their site – at least put an rel="nofollow" on it, otherwise you pass them part of your Google-pagerank(tm). This is the least you want to do, I guess.

33. Jason said:

We get the fun kind where they proxy our content and replace the ads with their own. Really sad when all our content is placed under the GFDL and source code available to run your own copy.

34. Pinal Dave said:

Hi Kevin,

I am totally with you. My site has been replicated at many places too.

Let me know if I can be any help to you.

Regards,
    Pinal

35. WOW! – Its really painful to find all your efforts copy elsewhere without your consent.

I can’t even reason what should be done to avoid CSJ from copy one’s contents.

36. fonik said:

A little whois and google magic shows your thief to be some douche named "Nani Exo" from Buitenland, Belgium.

37. You should contact the web host of such CSJ parading themselves as bloggers. I have seen such blogs suspended by web hosts on the basis of copyright infringement.

38. AnonRedditor said:

So on his Twitter he gives the e-mail: nanofuse@googlemail.com

If you look this kid up on Facebook, you find out that it belongs to one Jest Staffel.

His LinkedIn profile is

Digg here:

39. whammo said:

Sue em in small claims court.

40. ASDF said:

Out of curiosity, is all the music on your iPod/MP3 paid for?

41. Dave Ward said:

Given the type we’re talking about, his Twitter follower count is probably a case of this: http://amnesiablog.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/how-to-spot-a-twitter-user-with-a-fake-follower-count/

42. everything can be protected with a lawyer and money! :(

If there was something like leechguard for text.

I guess you could use ipaper and that might fix the problem but i’m not sure how great the experience might be.

43. AnonRedditor said:

> Out of curiosity, is all the music on your iPod/MP3 paid for?

There is a very stark difference between pirating something for personal use, and pirating something and *reselling it*.

44. Mark said:

I would like to rip this blog post off, just for fun :)

Google just needs to get a little more proactive, surely them can identify copies in there index… Maybe in webmaster tools you can see a list of very very similar sites..

45. Stefan Didak said:

Sometimes CSJ’s go too far and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. Exposing them and making sure it hits hard seems to have interesting and hilarious results. I’ve exposed a CSJ not too long ago so if you fancy a read you can check:

And of course, sometimes these CSJ’s think they had a right to steal content and try and get rid of the exposure. Which of course then only results in more exposure, like this:

And if the CSJ is called Andre Leite Alves of Aware Bear Computers in Rochester NY, and it turns out you steal content from MANY other people and places, you eventually end up with something like this:

Enjoy. :-)

46. Driveby said:

My suggestion is that you get inside their minds. They are trying to survive on ad income. It’s a rough life. The way they do it is in volume. You can’t write that many articles and survive well on ad income. The solution is to thieve content. The better solution, and I think you can understand this since you are a programmer, is to move into a new direction that they have not yet tapped. And that is to invent an article remixer. The program takes a passage of text and rewrites each paragraph. It’s not an easy thing to build, but I believe it can be built. So my advice is to funnel that energy into beating them at their own game.

47. capcaunu said:

How about some javascript that prevents them from selecting and copying text, unless they do it automatically, which I don’t think so. Worth trying.

48. "Content-stealing Jerks" or even "Content-Stealing Jerks" means what you are trying to say. "Content Stealing Jerks" means content which steals jerks. I didn’t read the post because I found it hard to believe that content would ever steal jerks from anyone. Although I suppose that if you think your readers are jerks, and you’re mad that other people are stealing those jerks away from you with their content, then it might make sense.

Anyway, now you know.

49. Matt said:

Stackoverflow has a little Creative Commons licensing logo at the bottom of the page. Does that not mean what I think it means?

CNProg not only provides their source code, but they do attribute stack overflow. So I don’t see a lot of room to complain. http://code.google.com/p/cnprog/

50. Adam said:

@okimojoko

Ughh, the content on that site was posted this month, the original article was posted in august of 2008…

51. Billy Bob said:

Don’t make full posts in your RSS feed. They’re using WP-O-Matic which automatically rips posts from a list of RSS feeds. People will only put feeds into the list that include full feeds instead of a "preview" as WP-O-Matic won’t go to the posts and copy them. It only copies what is in the RSS. Feedburner is an easy target for this.

52. Kevin Pang said:

@Anon

Yes, actually all my MP3s were purchased by me legally.

And as another poster indicated, there is a substantial difference between copying something for personal use and copying something for resale.

@Giles Bowkett

Thanks…I think. I’ve fixed it, just for you. Anal much? :-P

@Billy Bob

I didn’t know that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Personally, I hate seeing only partial posts in my RSS feed so I don’t think I’m going to go that route. I suppose if this becomes a bigger problem in the future I could.

53. Jane said:

I think I am missing something here! Delimits post shows a post date of May 28th, 2008. Your post shows a date of August 2008. Correct me if I’m wrong, but May is earlier than August, so how is HE stealing YOUR content?

54. Jane said:

Is there a way to verify the post dates?

55. Tim Ff. said:

@Jane,

Ummm, Jane… How would updating his "images" on his server update the "stealing miscreants" post? Unless, perhaps…. they stole his content and didn’t fix the links?

Maybe? Perhaps, just a thought…

56. Kevin Pang said:

@Jane

Yes, Delimitdesign appears to have altered the post to make it differ somewhat from my original one now. They have also changed the date posted. I guess they finally caught wind of what was happening here.

You can verify from RSS feed dates. I’m not sure if you can verify via Google search results. The reddit links to mine and theirs should be pretty indicative of when the respective articles were linked.

57. New Operator said:

What if you just AJAX in your content (that would keep them from doing a simple scrap via a simple utility). Put an abstract or teaser in the actual content (for google). That way it gets indexed, but the content is harder to scrap (of course you could use Firewatir to scrap it at that point).

Then you write maybe an HTML/CSS obfuscator (which is an interesting idea). That way at any point along the way you could just make the HTML or CSS go out of date. Forcing a CSJ to try and keep in sync the CSS and HTML files provided they are not just linking directly to there resources off of your server. But even if they are you could require them to have a session established in order to get the CSS and JS. Which will then force them to IFRAME in your site. And if they do that — then what? Which you could test for on your pages with a window.parent == null ? doThis() : dontDoThis()… I don’t know — might work.

L-

58. Kevin Pang said:

@Jane

The Google cache page is pretty damning proof that Delimitdesign’s original post was a complete copy/paste of mine and posted on 3/28/2009. I’ve posted a link to the Google cache page at the beginning of this post.

59. MSpreij said:

[quote]It could come with a firefox plugin that would redirect users to the original article when they visit a flagged page. What do you think?[/quote]

*Great* idea. In fact I had the same exact idea while reading the start of your article, and would happily donate towards such.

60. ap said:

How to fix:

1. tell google they are CSJ and they will kill their PR.

2. serve a DMCA notice on their hosting provider (or credit card processor if they have one)

61. No offense, but if you don’t want people to take your content away from your website, turn off your RSS feed. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. The key word here is SYNDICATION.

I do agree they should definitely give credit and link back to your site, but really there’s no excuse to complain about the rest here…

62. Tantric said:

@Dan on 3/29/2009 1:23 AM : Please don’t remove your frustration about India by mentioning there are no copyright laws in India. India, like the European Union, does not allow patents for inventions related to software. Ref : hg.org/article.asp?id=5508 but authors ( Indian or foreign) do have protection for their works under copyright laws in India.

63. Kevin Pang said:

@John Rockefeller

I’m not sure I understand. You’re saying that I have a right to be upset about them using my post and not crediting me. That’s *exactly* what I am upset about. Nothing else. What else do you think I’m complaining about?

64. Jane said:

@ Tim Ff. on 3/29/2009 8:11 PM

I am not sure, but when I checked Delimits post, the "updated" image was NOT there.

65. Kevin Pang said:

@Jane

Yes. That’s because Delimitdesign found out about this post and altered theirs accordingly. Look at the screenshots from Google cache that I posted at the top of this article though for proof that their original post was indeed a copy/paste of mine AND posted on 3/28/2009. Even better, Google cache caught the updated images as well. :-)

66. You spent a lot of time arguing about how the content matches yours exactly and seemed to indicate that you didn’t think they should be using your content at all, which, of course is hard to argue against when you have an RSS feed.

But, if your argument is that they should have given credit and all would be well, then I would agree with that.

My basic point is that if you don’t want other people to use your content at all, then don’t syndicate it.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer

67. Jane said:

Ahh. Thanks, I get it now!

68. Kevin Pang said:

@John Rockefeller

I think we’re in agreement here. I have no problem with people using my content so long as its made clear that it is just that, *my* content.

69. Simone said:

Kevin, I don’t think I see any license notice on your blog: as far as I remember, unless clearly stated, anything that is out on the web is public domain: I don’t see a "Copyright @ 2008-2009 Kevin Pang" in this site.
    I know, it sucks to have one’s content stolen, but without any license, there is really now way to stop them from doing it.
    I’d recommend you add a copyright notice on your footer and also the license under which you are publishing your post with (like I did: http://codeclimber.net.nz/articles/CodeClimber-Copyright-and-Licensing-Policy.aspx )

70. Kevin Pang said:

@Simone

Thanks. I might add that just for the sake of having it, but according to this link it doesn’t matter much whether you have the copyright footer or not: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

71. joe said:

What a bunch of effing low class animals..

Fuck you delimit.

72. I am no expert in copyright matters but I believe that by default you retain the copyright on anything you create unless you choose to deviate from that by explicitly saying what the copyright rules are.

73. Derek said:

If someone really wants to steal your content, they will. But a lot of your content leaves your site in a very innocent fashion (cut & pasted into an email for example). We are Beta testing something that we hope will increase the chances you get credit for your work when it is lifted from your page. It is called Tracer and you can get an account at http://www.tynt.com.

74. krishna said:

@dan … from what i saw in both india and US, to be a jerk, it does not matter where you are living. And internet money is way low in india even today.

75. mark said:

I think its because now every programmer should have blog, some people are not into, but there are articles that proves that all good programmers have blogs, so …. i see no problem in stealing content if you are not good at writing.

76. Threepwood said:

Kevin, I was reading this article with some sympathy but when I saw what you managed to do with the image I cracked up, brilliant, how you managed to refrain from linking a nasty image is beyond me, I could never have controlled myself :-)

77. treejanitor said:

I’m wondering if you could prevent issues in blogs by using javascript. Cross-site javascript won’t fly (without mucho tricks anyway), so perhaps there something that can be done on that front… embed a call at the top of your post that basically will screw the whole article unless you’re on the domain where the javascript exists.

78. dagobart said:

Just to extend the picture: Today, I got another one of my posts replicated — original: http://dagobart.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/twitter-might-be-the-infrastructure-for-mobile-services/ — copy: http://twitter.information-source-online.com/twitter-might-be-the-infrastructure-for-mobile-services/. If I remember correctly, in the comments above someone mentioned rip-offs wouldn’t take place if the RSS would be delivered incompletely.

I wanted to test that prediction, so I put a more tag into the post. (Just before the Overview paragraph.) As you can see, the thing was spreaded nevertheless. All the links were ripped off of the post, including the is.gd tinylink at the top of the post. That looks like manual or semi-automatic labor. (Funny to copy the ToC but remove its links, btw.)

However, the ripped off is.gd link back to my original post suggests that my original idea to use something like that does not work well. Alternatively, you could put it there as plain text. I wonder whether the semi-automatic helper would catch that too.

79. ZagNut said:

I wonder…could you generate an image with watermark of your blog content on-the-fly, then do the preview post / RSS thing?

And I can vouch for Pinal’s complaint, too. I’ve been doing some SQL work lately, and his posts are all over the place…

80. dagobart said:

@ZagNut: I had thoughts to a simiar direction, just after my comment. But then, if I’d put a watermark on my content they could do the same.

(But, still, I don’t see those rip-offs as enemy.)

81. ZagNut said:

@dagobart: no…if, say, Kevin generated an image of this post (not the comments, just the post area), and had "Kevin Pang" transparently striped across it, and the entires post was an image (perhaps with map tags for the links), and the CSJs could only grab a summary from the RSS feed or the watermarked image, they’d be DONE FOR!!!

I don’t think the images would necessarily be THAT huge, either…

Mr. Pang, would this work? You know the underpinnings of your blog (and may have modified already the base code to BlogEngine)…

82. Kevin Pang said:

@ZagNut

It would work, although I’m wondering if that would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. There are some adverse effects of doing this including:

1. [b]Search engine optimization[/b]. If all the Google spider sees is a big image, they’re not going to be able to index on any keywords in the post.
    2. [b]Copy/paste.[/b] I post code snippits here and there in my posts and having them be embedded in an image would prevent people from copy/pasting them easily.
    3. [b]Searchability.[/b] This is similar to #1, but when people do a ctrl-f search within a post, it wouldn’t work.
    4. [b]Annoying for me to maintain.[/b] I make revisions to my posts all the time as new information rolls in. Having to update the image would be a pain in the butt.

83. ZagNut said:

@Kevin

touche…

I guess there’s no alternative than to simply destroy them…

84. dagobart said:

@ZagNut, @Kevin. Yepp. And once you publish your content as text, the opposition could take it, make an image out of it and watermark it with their signature. (That was the issue I originally wanted to point out.)

On the other hand, publishing content as pics only would a) make it unsearchable/unfindable nd b) likely scare ‘legitimate’ RSS readers away, because of (relatively) big downloads that might be handled badly by whatever RSS readers they use and still would be un-indexable, therefore not worth to be archived at all. — In effect, in my humble opinion, such a step would effect in pushing you off the web, self-made.

Also, watermarks are nothing magic. You can detect them. And, once done so, you can remove them (if I remember correctly). So, you might be best off if you’d do the watermarking without mentioning at all.

I see 2.5 possible ways to fight unwanted rip-offs:
    a) Watermark _the text_, like with ‘nbsp’s instead of usual whitespaces or ‘ndash’/'mdash’es instead of minusses etc.
    b1) register your content with a centralized service
    b2) A network of friend blogs might be able to become such a ‘witnesses’ network also. And blogging is about conversation and bonding anyway, so this wouldn’t hurt anyways.

85. Snats said:

The saga continues, and Delimit continue apace with copying and pasting any and all sundry and claiming it as their own. Onward with the take down notices and notifying the advertisers on the theft site about it.

86. Dawn said:

Not sure if you’ve seen the site lately but I looked today and the article has been "slightly" modified it is now the "Top 16 Things That absolutely Annoy Programmers." While some original items were included this does not change the fact that the majority of the content is pure copyright infringement.

87. dagobart said:

Ha, strike! Someone copied another piece of my work, though kept the plaintext shortlink to the original post in it: Here’s the rip-off: http://kitchen.linkablez.info/2009/04/07/for-purpose-of-reference-anti-alias-emacs/. (Shortlink to OP is is.gd/riyx).

I actually didn’t expect the post to get spread but prepended it with the shortlink nevertheless. So, this worked out. :) Turned out it got a rank on reddit. Now I wonder whether everything ranked on sites like reddit might get spread.

88. Max Pool said:

Don’t worry about the scraping too much. Google will catch up with them and pop them out of any organic search results…

89. Hazel said:

Wow, this surely sucks!! No originality at all, but thanks for sharing this experience with us, now I know what to do in case that happens to me ;)

90. CSJ said:

Wow, great post. Can I copy and paste this verbatim onto my site?

hehe, just kidding.

91. this is a problem now a days, a lot of auto blog and duplication machine are being made and sell on different webmaster community. Only you can do is contact the blog owner or the hosting provider.